April 10, 2012

Prepositional Verbs with GO

Hi everyone!
I wanted to continue my look into phrasal verbs.  This is such a tricky area of English for my intermediate and early advanced language learners.   I wanted to learn more about them and share what I discovered.  I found out that there are 3 types of multi-word verbs:  phrasal verbs, prepositional verbs and phrasal-prepositional verbs.


In a nut shell, prepositional verbs are made from a verb and a preposition and must have a direct object.  Prepositional verbs can not be separated.  You cannot break up the prepositional phrase...just go through the door and turn left...NOT...just go the door through and turn left.


Here are some common Prepositional Verbs with Go:
Go up
Go up against
go with
go without
go out
go over
go through
go under
go in for
go in with
go off
go on
go along
go along with




 
Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment