June 25, 2012

Have you seen this?

Hi everyone,
Happy Summer!  Ken Nesbitt is one of my favorite writers.  He is a gifted writer that adds a lot of fun to all of his poetry.  I use many of his poems as lesson starters.  The vocabulary is rich and the subject is always fun, fun, fun.  Many of his poems are easy to link to your ELD lesson.

One of my favorites is:

Today I Had a Rotten Day

Today I had a rotten day.
As I was coming in from play
I accidentally stubbed my toes
and tripped and fell and whacked my nose.
I chipped a tooth. I cut my lip.
I scraped my knee. I hurt my hip.
I pulled my shoulder, tweaked my ear,
and got a bruise upon my rear.
I banged my elbow, barked my shin.
A welt is forming on my chin.
My pencil poked me in the thigh.
I got an eyelash in my eye.
I sprained my back. I wrenched my neck.
I'm feeling like a total wreck.
So that's the last time I refuse
when teacher says to tie my shoes.
--Kenn Nesbitt
Copyright © 2007 Kenn Nesbitt
All Rights Reserved

 
 This poem appears in the bookRevenge of the Lunch Ladies
Click her to check out his web page, I think you'll like it!


Kenn Nesbitt's  poems have also appeared in magazines, school textbooks, and numerous anthologies of funny poetry, as well as on television, audio CDs and even restaurant placemats.



1 comment:

  1. I love Kenn Nesbit! He's a great writer of poetry! Thank you for sharing this resource with us teachers.

    I found your blog via Elementary Matters! Thanks for all you do :]

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete