October 29, 2013

Favorite Structured Language Practice Activities!


Hi everyone,
Recently I was asked for a list of my favorite structured language practice activities.  There are so many that it was hard to choose just a few.  I began to compile a list of these tried and true old favorites and I thought I would share them here with you.  Each Tuesday for a while I will post a couple of fun activities to promote language practices.  Many you will recognize or remember and hopefully you will find one or two to use with your class!  I would love to hear what some of your favorites are!
Happy Teaching!



Stay and Stray
1.   Divide the class into groups.
2.   Pick interesting subjects for the groups to speak about.
3.  Post sentence frames for prompts and replies you want students to practice.
4.  Students practice the language frames in their group.
5.   One or more members of the groups move to other groups and practice and share the language.

Read Aloud/Think Aloud
1.   Divide the class into groups.
2.   Readers read a section of text or passage out loud to their group.
3.  Read then thinks aloud about the contents of that section.
4.  The group members use strong questioning strategies to ask the reader questions about the passage.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Lori! These are great activities! I teach ESL students. I'm going to try them in my classes. Good job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments!
    Let us know how they work for you!
    Happy Teaching,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete