May 11, 2022
Using Songs and Chants in the ELD Classroom
Songs and Chants are a dynamic part of an ESL lesson. Songs/ Chants set the stage for the lesson and help focus English Language Learners - ELLs - on the vocabulary and grammatical structure you are teaching.
Here is a simple lesson plan to use to get your second language learners - English newcomers to advanced language learners singing and focusing on all of your language lessons!
GROUPING: Whole class
OBJECTIVE: To introduce a song/chant
WHAT YOU NEED:
• Student copies of the song/chant
• The song/chant written on chart paper
HOW TO PLAY:
• Sing or chant the song first to your students
• Focus on pronunciation
• Anchor your student’s attention by teaching your students to always “look at my mouth.” Help them make the correct mouth and facial movements as you help them pronounce words correctly
• Hand out mirrors and see if your students can make their mouth “look like yours” when pronouncing new words or difficult sounds
VARIATION: Gesture as you sing Sing one part more than once
I hope you have fun with students while engaging them in every lesson you teach using Songs and Chants!
Need more lesson plan ideas? Click here!
Hello teachers ~ ________________________ Are you ready to make Summer School FUN? With the end of the school year upon us, it’s time to st...
I found this great "toon" over at EL Achieve's facebook page: ToonDoo is a fun way to make your own cartoons! Happy Tea...
Hello everyone and Welcome to 2022 ~ it's going to be a great year. 2021 is now in the past so what better time to talk about the past t...